3/30/10

"The Lion and the Ass" Aesop's Fables ilustrated by Alexander Calder





... if I had a million dollars... I would buy this Aesop's Fables book, according to Sir Roger L’Estrange, and read it everyday absorbing Aesop's Fables and one of my favorite artists, Alexander Calder. Aesop's Fables is like a bible for me and Calder inspires me to no end with his remarkable line work and creativity. What a combination.

Above is the fable, A Lion and an Ass. I love the moral featured above. I re keyed the moral in Adobe Illustrator for easier readability.

SOURCE: "Fables of Aesop With fifty drawings by Alexander Calder. (6), 124, (10)pp. 52 illustrations by Calder, printed in black. 4to. Wraps. over boards (splits at edges). Slipcase (boards). One of 20 copies hors commerce from the tirage of 595 on Auvergne, from the limited edition of 665 in all, designed by Monroe Wheeler.

Paris (Harrison of Paris), 1931. $2,000.00"